6/9/17

BingU Serves and Learns in Cusco, Peru!


Now in its fifth year, the Service-Learning and Language Immersion Program in Peru is a collaboration of the Center for Civic Engagement, the Master’s of Public Administration Department in the College of Community and Public Affairs and the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives. It combines a course at Binghamton University with 3 weeks of on-site language immersion and service-learning in Cusco, Peru.

Below are excerpts from participating students' reflections as they prepared to embark on their adventure abroad. Students were asked to reflect on what they were most apprehensive about, most excited about and what they expected to gain from the experience.

Stay tuned to our blog and Facebook page for updates from the students throughout the coming weeks.



"I'm most apprehensive to meet my host family. I know I am capable of the [physical] tasks asked of us. However, I hope I am able to connect with my host family in a profound way. I feel as though that alone could add another level to the trip as a whole.  --Garrett Holmes
 ---
"My excitement for traveling to Peru has canceled out most of the nervousness I probably should be feeling regarding altitude sickness, culture shock or any of the other new experiences coming my way.  I can’t wait to begin packing and preparing for departure!" --Alison Jones 
 ---
"I am so excited to go to Peru; I have wanted to go there for a very long time. Something that I am really looking forward to is the volunteer aspect of the trip. I am especially eager to work with the kids and interact with them on our service trips." --Sara Herlands
---
"I am looking forward to the trip, the people that I will meet, the food that I will be eating, the culture that I will be immersed in. I am excited for improving my Spanish and learning some Quechua words and expressions. I am worried about not having all the necessary things with me when I am out there. I am making lists, hoping to not forget anything." --Jennifer Augustin
---
"I think that getting sick in Peru may be something I am worried about, especially the altitude sickness. Learning about the methods to prevent altitude sickness, such as staying hydrated and drinking coca tea, makes me feel better though. I cannot wait to live with a host family, learn about culture, volunteer, and learn Spanish (I'm excited about pretty much everything). I think that this will truly be an unforgettable experience, and I cannot wait to embark on this journey with a great group of people." --Danielle Schulman
---
"Peru is definitely much more different than Germany or South Korea or Canada (all places I have been to). Hearing about having to boil water to be able to drink it is a little baffling to me but I think that has to do with the privilege of drinking water without really having to worry about what's in it. It'll definitely be a bit of a culture shock but I think I can handle it. " --Angelina Brooks
---
"I’m both extremely excited and a little anxious (in a good way) about immersing myself in a heavily Spanish speaking environment, considering I’ve studied the language for many years but have never had the opportunity to use it on such a grand scale. I can’t wait to meet my host family. Even though our time there is limited, I’m really looking forward to sharing their experiences and getting to know them. I hope we form a lasting relationship. I’m also very excited for our service work. I really enjoy working with kids, and I think that spending time with them will be extremely rewarding, as will the other projects we’ll be involved in." --Zachary Malik
---
"I am extremely excited for various reasons, but I also have my concerns. My concerns include language, high elevation, culture barriers and fostering relationships. I am most apprehensive about the language barrier since the goal is to form a bond with the host family and of course with the organizations. I may understand a lot of the Spanish language, but speaking the language is more of a difficult process for me. I lack experience since I am mostly around English speakers, so I am excited to expand my language skills by being matriculated in a Spanish speaking community." --Lindy Morales
---
"I’m most excited about speaking Spanish and comparing cultures. Coming from a Spanish household, it would be interesting to see which of our values or morals are alike and in what ways they are different. I’m excited to see what their perception of our culture is and I’m excited to both educate the people there about our culture and to learn more about their culture." --Elizabeth Cruz
---
"I am most excited about going to visit Machu Picchu. Machu Picchu is not only a monumental and historical figure that of Peru, it is also a modern embodiment of the state of Peru in terms of its tourism and worship. I feel that after visiting the ruins, I will be able to get a feel of those different aspects of Peru all at once while being able to fun!" --Sedonia Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment