7/19/16

#BingUPeru16 in Review

Now in its fourth year, the Service Learning and Language Immersion Program in Peru is a collaboration of the Center for Civic Engagement, the Master’s of Public Administration Department in the College of Community and Public Affairs and the Office of International Programs. It combines a course at Binghamton University with 3 weeks of on-site language immersion and service-learning in Peru.

Below are excerpts from participating students' reflections on how they're adjusting since their return to the US, what they're most proud of about their time in Peru and what they would suggest to students who may take the trip in the future.



"The thing I am most proud of is opening my mind to new people, new places, and new adventures. I am proud I had the courage to seek out this program. I am so grateful for this. Peru has done one major thing for me: it has made me certain that my destiny is to fall in love with places and the persons that they encompass. I hope to travel more and seek out service opportunities in the near future." --Angela Papageorgiou
 ---
"I was in Peru for a week before I had to leave due to symptoms of altitude sickness. Though I was there for only a week, I am proud that I got the chance to take part in our first field-service – work with a community called AbrePuertas (translated, “open doors”), where I had the opportunity to play soccer (for as much as my strength could allow) with the children." --Benjamin Edwards
 ---
"I am proud that I was able to get by with the Spanish knowledge I have, although it had been 3 years since I had spoken or taken a formal Spanish class. I realized that with language it was far easier to understand and speak when I was fully immersed in the language and culture. I learned to trust myself and my instincts on this trip because it was the first time I visited a foreign country without my family. I’m proud that I learned to be responsible, to go with the flow and to not panic when lost. To top it off I’m proud that I was able to walk through Cusco City like it was home and bargain like I wasn’t a tourist.  I highly recommend this trip to anyone who has interest in volunteering at all and has an interest in becoming more confident in Spanish." --Roseann Puthiyamadam
---
"To prepare for a trip like this I would say to be open to learning and experiencing new things. Being in a new country can be overwhelming, especially if you have never traveled before.  However, do not worry too much because you are with a group of other people that are sharing many of the same experiences with you. One of the most important things I would say to pack for this trip would be comfortable clothes that you can layer up and comfortable shoes.  Also, bring at least one thing that can help you feel safe whether it’s a journal, your favorite blanket, or even a teddy bear.  But most of all, enjoy your time in Peru, if something does not go according to plan, don’t fret.  Your time in Peru is short but you will learn so many amazing things if you open yourself up to them!" --Marlena Santos
---
"When I returned home, I definitely experienced reverse culture shock. I think I have struggled more with reverse culture shock than I did with culture shock when I first arrived in Peru. When I stepped out of the JFK airport, I was still speaking Spanish and then I suddenly realized that I needed to revert back to speaking English. It became unusual to walk anywhere anymore since everyone drove cars in my neighborhood. Maybe it’s because it is summer but I no longer had a set routine of things I had to do. I had no set responsibilities that had to be fulfilled and I felt like I was useless since I wasn’t doing any community service or volunteer work. It seemed as though I was wasting my life away if I wasn’t bettering the society in some way. I’m currently looking for opportunities that I can become involved in with helping others either physically or financially." --Reshma Satish
---
"Being able to learn about NGOs and local development outside of a classroom setting was truly beneficial. I’m excited to be able to apply all the different things I learned throughout this experience to my everyday life and in my classes back at Binghamton. I am most proud of my ability to stay diligent and optimistic through challenging situations. Although the language barrier was difficult to conquer, I realized that by keeping an open mind and not being hesitant to try new things I was able to have so many wonderful experiences.--Jessica Tullo
---

No comments:

Post a Comment