6/16/17

Post-Service Reflections


Now in its fifth year, the Service-Learning and Language Immersion Program in Peru is a collaboration of the Center for Civic Engagement, the Master’s of Public Administration Department in the College of Community and Public Affairs and the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives. It combines a course at Binghamton University with 3 weeks of on-site language immersion and service-learning in Cusco, Peru.


Below are excerpts from participating students' reflections after completing their service at two of the three service sites they will visit, AbrePuertas and Corazon de Dahlia.

"I think that the most challenging part, however, was making sure that our work reflected the kids and not us and of course saying goodbye. I think that because we are students who are only able to work at these sites for such a short period of time it is important that we use that time to work on something that will remain long after we are gone, which is something that we did by helping, for example, AbrePuertas with their new office and mural." --Elizabeth Cruz
 ---
"Today in class we discussed that many volunteers come into an organization with a "savior complex" believing that the organization would not be able to succeed without their help. However it is clear to me that Abre Puertas did not need us; they are capable of doing anything without us. But I am so thankful that I was able to be a part of this experience and help them with their expansion because I think it is a truly amazing organization" --Sara Herlands 
 ---
"I really liked the work that we have done in AbrePuertas because it will always be remembered. The mural that we have done will always be there for the students to see as they enter their after school program." --Jennifer Augustin
---
"The work with Corazon de Dhalia was solely with the children. Each day, we would lead different activities with them. I...led the dancing group. One day we even taught them a dance for the song "Despacito", which we made ourselves. I really liked this program because I formed deep connections with many of the kids there." --Zachary Malik
---
"When comparing the two, I prefered AbrePuertas over Corazon de Dahlia, not based on the programs themselves but what we were able to do there and the perceived impact that we left behind. In Corazon de Dahlia, we were able to get to know the kids for a little while and play with them, but I don't feel that I was able to impart much in terms of the kids or the program overall. I believe that I received more than I gave, and I came to give. In Abre Puertas, I feel that the exchange was more even." --Sedonia Lake
---
"Working with the children in Abre Puertas was also a great learning experience and made me realize the need for empowering educational programs for all children.  Watching the children work together to create their own projects through a cohesive process was inspiring and I am so grateful to have been a part of the experience." --Alison Jones
---
"The second day at Abre Puertas was the most enjoyable as I was able to spend it in the mountains playing soccer with all the kids. As soon as a game was involved the kids opened up and we all had so much fun running together. Being able to connect with the kids on a level beyond education was what has really stuck with me and is what I have enjoyed the most." --Sydney Dunn
---
"Having activities that empower the kids is super important. The mural that we painted was designed by the children and that, I think, puts the idea into their heads that their creativity means something. That their creativity and input matters. I think that does a lot more for the kids than us just playing with them." --Angelina Brooks
---
---
"I think that the best part about the service sites so far is that not only are we able to help kids, but that I feel as though I am changing as a person as well. It's a mutual situation where the kids and volunteers both receive something in return, and I think that the best kind of volunteering is mutual." --Danielle Schulman 

No comments:

Post a Comment