6/12/14

After the First Week in Peru Students Share their Impressions and Experiences

Students share their experiences and impressions after their first week in Peru. Some amazing insights about food, markets, streets, parenting, and nature. Please, stay tuned for more updates here and on social media (FacebookTwitter) in the following weeks.

  


"Wow, it is so beautiful! Wow, the air is thin up here! There are so many things to see, so many things to do I just do not know where to start. I guess it makes the most sense to start with the new, unexpected things. 
I know there  is a lot more to see but its the little things that surprise me. 
First, I must comment on the dogs. There are dogs absolutely everywhere, just roaming the streets I have never seen anything like it. What was more surprising to me was their demeanor. They are not wild, at all, they seem even more calm than most pets, just laying on the streets watching the people go by."Victoria Anderson 

"The most surprising thing for me thus far has been the lowered sense of stress and busyness that is evident every day in the United States. Cusco is a very populated city and it is filled with many tourists, but even among all of the people I feel like the days move at a slower, more enjoyable pace. Everybody here runs on what is referred to as "Peruvian time." I appreciate the relaxed vibe of the city. The city of Cusco is quite different than what I am accustomed to. Other than being surrounded by mountains and being served bread with every meal, the jobs that people have are different. There are so many markets in Cusco, selling food, clothes, and other things, which are not something that would be seen in the United States. The jobs of so many people here is to sit at these markets and sell their goods. With a job like this I would think that the days seem very long because each day is almost identical to the prior days. I have also seen children working at these markets."Emma Lecarie 



"When I first arrived I felt like I was in a different world. It´s safe to say the Andes mountains are a major scenic change from the large buildings and skyscrapers I am used to back home in NY. It has not been very easy for me to blend in, being a blonde girl with light skin in a Latin American country ... Aside from these minor obstacles, I am having an amazing time immersing myself in the city's culture. My Spanish is improving already, thanks to the native Spanish classes at Maximo Nivel, as I am now able to have cohesive conversations with my host mom. The vibe in Cusco is incredible- it seems that every day is a new celebration." - Lesia Danyluk


"In Peru, the parenting seems more laid back than I am used to. One day on the street, I was walking with my friends and I saw a toddler walk to the curb of a very busy street and the mother or grandma only gave the child a stern look. She did not run up to the child and snatch him/her away from the street like I would have done. I found that to be astonishing. I do not know that I will ever be able to let a toddler walk freely even on the sidewalk of a busy street without having a heart attack.
Many toilets do not have toilet seats here in Peru, which took some getting used to. Also, not flushing the toilet paper down the toilet is different too. The plumbing is not too strong here, so we just throw the toilet paper out instead.  Furthermore, altitude sickness hit me hard the first day that I arrived in Cusco (which is 10,000 ft above what I am used to). But with lots of Coca tea and rest, I was able to get acclimated rather quickly."Emilia Souza 



No comments:

Post a Comment